Dental Crowns – Issaquah, WA
Protecting Teeth for the Long Term
A crown is a replacement for your tooth enamel—the hard outer portion of your tooth. It covers a softer material called dentin, which decays at a faster rate once bacteria gets underneath the enamel. Crowns are effective restorations to repair the strength and aesthetics of a person’s teeth. If you think you may need a customized crown to repair your damaged tooth, call us today.
Why Choose First Impressions Dental Care for Dental Crowns?
- Lifelike Metal-Free Options
- No-Mess Digital Impression System
- Same Staff for Many Years
Do I Need a Dental Crown?
There are several reasons that a tooth may require a crown:
- It may be a virgin tooth with active decay that is too big to restore with a filling. Once Dr. Sherman takes out the decay, if what is left of the existing structure is less than 50% of the original tooth, a crown is necessary. If there is more than 50%, you’ll only need a filling.
- A tooth may have an existing filling restoration that has leaking margins with recurrent decay that is too big to restore with another filling.
- If a tooth already has a crown, that crown may have leaking margins and/or open margins with recurrent decay that requires a new crown.
Types of Crowns
We use three types of crowns at First Impressions Dental Care:
- Full Porcelain: Porcelain crowns are most often preferred because they mimic the translucency of natural teeth and are very strong.
- E-max: Lithium disilicate, or E-max crowns, provide strength and aesthetics and are often used on the front teeth.
- Full Zirconia: Zirconia crowns are made of high-impact resistant ceramic for a safer and more aesthetically pleasing restoration.
Getting a Crown at First Impressions
A crown requires two appointments at our Issaquah dental office. Your first appointment takes about 90 minutes. At this appointment, we will anesthetize the area, and Dr. Sherman will prepare the tooth by removing any active decay. He will also place any necessary build-up (the support structure that the new crown will sit on).
We then send you home with a temporary crown and send your impression to the lab, where a ceramicist will make your permanent crown. After 30 years in the field, we have found that ceramists offer the best color match and tooth appearance. Same-day crowns just don’t offer the same look, color, and shape like a crown hand-made by a ceramist. Two weeks later, you’ll return to our office for a quick 30 minutes to cement your permanent crown in place.
Dental Experience Matters
Dr. Sherman has 30 years of experience and a deep passion for helping patients achieve beautiful smiles. He offers distinct attention to detail in all aspects of restorative and cosmetic procedures. Would you get heart surgery from an eye doctor or a cardiologist? Why not choose the best? Choose Issaquah’s premier restorative dentist, Dr. Ron Sherman, and make a great first impression with your smile.